Pages

November 10, 2015

Little Hands in the Kitchen


For my daughters 2nd Christmas, we got her a little kitchen of her own in *hopes* that she could be playing with that while mommy was cooking to keep her happy (and out of mommys way!!). Well, we hit a success!! She was in love from day one! She cooked and baked and washed all her own dishes;). Until one day, her kitchen was a disaster. Seriously it was only one day. The first day to be specific. And that's when I realized how wonderful this kitchen was as a tool into baby homemaking! I assisted her returning her toys to their place, and made sure she "cleaned up" after cooking everyday. Then I realized other life skills could also be taught. 2 years can use a wash rag and wipe off the counters in their kitchen! And while they are at it, they can help wipe the walls, the floor, and the cabinets. Even though she wasn't actually getting things cleaned for me, I soon realized how important it was for her to think she was. And we kept adding to it. She loves helping me clean the kitchen, and now she's even helping wash the real dishes with a special dish wand. Not to mention the cooking!! She stirs, kneeds, and mixes with me, and I pretend that one day she will actually eat the food she helps me cook instead of living off macaroni, spaghetti, and chicken. (Seriously that's just about all she eats) So I encourage you start! Start when they are old enough to be in your hair, because chances are they are old enough to learn to help as well;) 

Much Love, Michelle

No comments:

Post a Comment